Pincer grasp is an exciting fine motor development for babies. This important skill is the first step to self-feeding, reading, drawing, writing and caring for themselves. Though babies start developing this skill by 3 months, it may take at least a year for a baby to pick up small objects between thumb and forefinger. Between 8 to 12 months babies fine tune the grasping reflex. One of the great way to encourage and fine tune this skill is by offering small finger food to baby.
We started offering mini bite size food to our daughter since she was 7 months old. It’s been exciting watching her develop as she grabbed food pieces with all her fingers and tried putting in her mouth to fine tuning the skill to be able to grasp with forefinger and thumb 🙂
The beef patty is a great food to introduce to baby to practice pincer grasp. Off course, the patties will need to be cut into smaller pieces to avoid choking hazards.
Recipe: Beef patty
Age Group: 10 months +
¼ lb ground beef
¼ Cup shredded Zucchinis
¼ Cup shredded Spinach
¼ Cup shredded Carrot
2 Table Spoon whole wheat flour
1 Table Spoon olive oil
Dash of Rosemary
Dash of Black pepper (optional)
Dash of cumin powder (optional)
Dash of Salt to taste (optional)
¼ Tea spoon garlic paste (optional)
¼ Tea spoon ginger paste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash all the veggies and ground beef.
- Steam all veggies for 5-8 minutes.
- Add all ingredients and mix well.
- Form round shaped and keep aside in the lined baking tray.
- Spray or brush olive oil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve as snack with yogurt dipping sauce, in a sandwich, or with rice or bread.
- Great as finger food.
- Instead of baking, the beef patties can be fried. In that case, more oil is needed.
- Depending on the oven temperature and thickness of the patties, baking time may vary.
- These freezes very well. Just bake 15 minutes, cool and freeze. Thaw in refrigerator and bake 10-15 minutes when needed.
- Following the same process, other veggies can also be added.