Is this a sandwich, a wrap or an art piece? That’s the first reaction I get when I assemble this sandwich. People just stare at it instead of trying to gobble it. You be the judge and let me know if you would like to have a bite or just stare.
The filling is, again, something attached to my childhood. I grew up often eating this sandwich. Well, a sandwich made of the potato filling but it didn’t quite look like the one in the pictures. My mom always adds sliced, hard boiled eggs to the filling but I omitted it in the recipe to keep it vegetarian. It’s delicious with or without eggs.
Oh yes, you don’t have to turn the sandwich to an art piece if you don’t want to. It will still taste awesome.
2 large potatoes
2 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1-2 green chili
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 cup mixed vegetable (chopped carrots, peas, green beans, cauliflower) (Optional)
Whole grain sandwich bread
Cilantro for garnish
Steps to cook the filling:
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and semi mash keeping few small chunks. Set aside.
- Heat pan and add oil.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until slightly brown.
- Add cumin seeds and green chili.
- Add mixed vegetables, if using.
- Mix smashed potatoes in the oil mixture.
- Add turmeric and mix well.
- Cook 3-4 minutes stirring often until everything is mixed.
Steps to assemble sandwich:
- Take two slices of bread.
- Toast, if desired.
- Add filling, lettuce and enjoy.
- Repeat for next sandwich.
- I like this sandwich in un-toasted whole grain bread. It tastes great on toasted bread too.
- The filling will be great with other breads, such as naan, tortilla, etc.
- You may add boiled and sliced eggs to the filling.