Ramadan Kareem to all who are observing. I hope you had a great start to the blessed month.
For those who are not, Hello and Happy Weekend. If this is your first time on With A Spin, ahlan wa sahlan, welcome.
Hadiths are the collection of sayings from prophet Mohammed. In one of the hadith, Salman ibn Amir Dhabi related that the Prophet prescribed –
Break your fast with dates, or else with water, for it is pure (Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi)
Imagine a Thanksgiving without turkey. Ramadan without dates is exactly that for majority of Muslims despite their diverse background. It is the fruit that unites the Muslim community from all over the world. Date is a slower digesting food and an excellent source of fiber, sugar, magnesium, potassium with many health benefits. Dates provide a quick boost of energy after a long day of fasting.
Last Ramadan, I started making these luxurious white chocolate covered dates every time we had friends over for Iftar. They were an instant hit, no questions asked. Best part, these white chocolate covered dates are very quick and easy to make. The combination of crunchy, soft, chocolaty and the sweetness of the date is divine.
Seriously, take the ten minutes to create this simple dessert and treat yourself, family and friends. They will be a guaranteed hit. In the world of candies and sweets, baked goods and other treats, the almond stuffed and pistachio covered white chocolate dates are a quick and easy wholesome treat.
Wishing you and yours the most wonderful and blessed month of Ramadan!
Stay happy and hydrated wherever you are. Peace!
- 20-25 pieces dates, rinsed and dried
- 20-25 pieces almonds
- 8 oz. premium white chocolate (I used Ghirardelli White Chocolate Bars)
- ½ cup crushed pistachio
- Prepare a tray or baking sheet with parchment paper to rest the dates after dipping.
- Make a slice in the dates but not all the way through, and remove the pit. Stuff each with an almond or nut of your choice. Press the date closed.
- Melt white chocolate following chocolate manufacturer instruction in the microwave or using double broiler method.
- Using a toothpick or skewer, dip each date in chocolate. Allow the excess chocolate to drip off by carefully rotating the toothpick/skewer.
- Dip the chocolate covered date into a bowl of crushed pistachio. Repeat with remaining dates.
- Allow dates to set in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes before serving.
You can make assorted platters of these, and send them to friends and family as Gifts
This is a basic quantity recipe. Feel free to double, triple or even quadruple the quantity!
I used medjool dates, but feel free to use other kinds.