Happiness is a warm cookie!
It’s pretty much becoming a tradition to bake cookies when my teen cousins are visiting from the East coast. Last year, we planned and made the Gingerbread Masjid together. This year, they used the Islamic shape cookie cutters and baked a batch of basic sugar cookies. I had baked a batch a week before and had a few left(the smooth ones). You’ll see a few cracks on their version as they didn’t follow the recipe to the T(used less butter than the recipe required). I have used this recipe for a few years now and if you follow carefully, your cookies should come out perfectly smooth.
Cookies come in different variety and shapes. There’s some magic in those little baked goodies that puts a smile just by the mere smell of baking. Whatever the variety is, cookie baking is a process that is enjoyed from the very beginning, starting with the creativity in choosing the cookie cutters, the recipe, the decoration and the bond you make with the family when you involve them in the process. Finally, the thanks and smiles as cookies are enjoyed with warm heart and happy memories are created.
Let’s celebrate the good things that bring a family together. Create happy moments with the With A Spin Islamic Cookie Cutters during Ramadan, Eid and beyond.
- 1 Cup butter, softened at room temperature
- ⅔ Cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Line a cookie sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and spices together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, little by little at a time.
- Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
- Divide the dough into workable batches, roll out closer to ¼ inch onto a lightly floured surface
- Cut out the cookie using your favorite cookie cutters. We used the Islamic shape cookie cutters.
- Bake about 7-9 minutes.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
- Decorate with edible color markers.